Saturday, December 27, 2008

Merry Christmas! Felicidades! (and a free scarf pattern!


Here is the annual picture of my tree before it comes down. Sigh.

My sister and her family are coming up tomorrow if the darn snow doesn't get in their way. It just started in about an hour ago. Keep your fingers and toes crossed. My sister, is my only other fellow hooker in my life. She totally gets the connection between your soul and making something with your hands. Hopefully we'll get time to poor over patterns together or at least sit side by side and hook away.

This is a scarf of my own design. It my fav and I can work on it at any time with very little thought. So without further ado:

My half-dc curly fringe scarf:

Close up of detail:


The pattern:I used a size I hook, but gauge is not important, just how tight you like your stitches.
1 skein of worsted weight yarn(mine is RHSS)
Chain a string of stitches as tall as you are.(Give or take a few depending on your taste.)
Row 1: Half-double crochet into second chain from hook. Repeat to end. Turn, chain 2
Row 2-12: Half-double crochet in every stitch, turn, chain 2 at every row end.
Fasten off at the end of row 12.

Fringe: Holding 2 strands of yarn together.
Chain 25, 3 sc in every chain. Fasten off, leave about six inches of yarn to fasten to scarf.

Make 12 curly Q's, Fasten 6 to each end of the scarf. Viola!

Edited to add:

To make a curly Q:

Ch.15
3 Sc in 2nd chain from hook, then 3sc in each chain across, it should start curling immediately Fasten off, repeat.

11 comments:

Crafty Christina said...

Feliz Navidad mi amiga!!

The tree is gorgeous and TALL!

Thank you for the scarf pattern. It looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

I will have to give your scarf pattern a try! TFS!

Anonymous said...

The scarf is awesome!! Maybe I should make this one soon. TY for the pattern!

Anonymous said...

I love the scarf, I plan on trying it.
I have to say, all the animals you crocheted are Adorable!!

Yogachic at the 'Ville

Unknown said...

Lovely scarf.

Carri said...

I love this scarf and can't wait to make it but I have a question. when I make something using a HDC, I end up with it curling or being wavy, not straight. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong that creates this look?

Caroline said...

No Carri I don't know why it curls. How many chains do you turn with? Ad 1 extra, if its pulling too tight when you turn. You may also want to check your tension, pulling through your stitches too tightly could make it curl. Good luck!

MamaCass48 said...

I'm still a beginner at crocheting and wonder how you fasten your curly Q's to the scarf once they are made. I love this idea and may want to add curly Q's to other projects.

Anonymous said...

For row 2 do you really put twelve half double crochets in every stitch? "Half-dc curly fringe scarf" pattern.

Caroline said...

For Anon: No, that's rows 2 through 12; one half-double crochet in each stitch to the end of the row. ;-)

molly said...

I just made this scarf...love it...do you make the curly fringe frim your edited note or your original instructions with the 2 strands of yarn and 25 chains...molly