Monday, October 24, 2011

A Better Harry Potter scarf

My DS wanted to be Harry Potter for Halloween this year (being the true fiber fellow, that I am thought at once: WooHoo, I get to crochet the scarf!), so I set about immediately scouring the web for all the current free Harry Potter scarf patterns. I tried a few out and tested them with various yarns and crochet hook sizes, but it just wasn’t grabbing me. I mean, I really want to love this project, because it’s the first time ever, my son actually wants something crocheted for him. So without further ado, I present my version of the Harry Potter Gryffindor First year scarf.
A Better Harry Potter Scarf
My version by Caroline Chrisco
1 skein of RHSS Burgundy
1 skein of RHSS Gold
Size H hook

Row 1-With burgundy, chain 22, half-double crochet in second chain from hook, then hdc in each chain(21hdc)turn, ch.1

Row 2- Hdc in each hdc across(21hdc)

Row 3-22 Repeat row 2

*At the end of row 22, do not complete your final hdc on that row, do your first YO and draw up a loop, YO again; draw up this loop, now with 3 loops on your hook, drop the burgundy(cut, leaving about a 6 inch tail for weaving in later.) and draw up the gold yarn through all three loops. Turn, ch.1.(Now tie the burgundy and gold loose ends together, weave in later.) This is how I make the color switch and it looks seamless:

Row 1-Continue using the gold and follow the same established pattern, (21hdc) turn, ch.1 for 22 rows.

I then switched back to burgundy and then back to gold. I did 5 repeats of burgundy(started and ended with burgundy and 4 repeats of gold.)
Finishing:
 Fringe: Using only burgundy, I cut 8, 16 inch lengths and attached them on both ends for the fringe. I like my imperfect perfect of way of deciding where to place the fringe. I find the middle of the scarfs edge and place one there. Next I place one each on the outer edges. Then I divide the section between the outer and the middle fringe in half, and place one there, ditto for the other outer edge. I keep dividing the spaces in half and place fringe until I can no longer squeeze any more in place. Repeat for the other end of the scarf. (Note: I use an overhand knot method of attaching the fringe to a scarf, you may want to use a slightly larger crochet to draw the fringe through.)

 
Weaving in ends: Just note about weaving in ends, I know I mentioned the tying of knots as you switched colors. Since this was to be scarf, that may see a lot of action during various Halloween parades, Trunk or Treating, and Trick or Treating, I believe you should tie the ends together so you get a secure scarf, but if you can secure them buying crocheting them in nice and tight, do what makes you most comfortable.

My notes: This of course, is just my opinion and my version of what makes better HP scarf. The main reason why I think it is, is because, the HDC gives the scarf a thicker, richer feel and I only chain one at the turn of every row, which I think makes for neater edges. It's tricky to always find that last stitch before the turn, but I think the precise, squared edges speak for themselves.

Good luck!
















7 comments:

hooksandyarns said...

Very nice - I'm sure your son will love it. :)

Libby said...

Fantastic! I know he'll get lots of compliments on his look.

Hazels Crochet said...

That is a really good version of the HP scarf!Your son will love it and I think its great that he asked you to make something for him :)

Beansieleigh said...

LOVE it!! (surprised?.. no??) Thanks for sharing your pattern Caroline! Have to see if I have the colors around here or not!.. Hope the day ahead is good to ya! ~tina

DaCraftyLady said...

love love it...

Linda said...

Lovely Scarf!

Unknown said...

I made this scarf with Black & Teal. My cousin loved it!! Thanks for posting such an awesome pattern